[ale] bout me company

Tom Kovarik tom_kovarik at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 15 08:39:20 EST 2002

--- Irv Mullins <irvm at ellijay.com> wrote:

> How true. It's unfortunate that what's in that spoon is so often just Pablum,
> when for $1000, you're expecting at least a juicy steak.
>
> I suppose this doesn't really matter.  In any larger company, success doesn't
> depend on what you know. Who you know, and what they *think* you
> know makes all the difference.

Bingo.  The deeper issues (and I'm no Windows apologist) are hiring practices
and learning quality.  Any company who is hiring admins by checking off
initials on resumes deserves what they get.  A hiring procedure like that just
encourages the lowest common denominator of tech, the guy who scraped up some
cash, sat for some tests, and now thinks he knows something.  There's nothing
more frightening to a fellow admin than seeing a new coworker with his paper
MCSE working on your systems.  Worse, there's nothing more attractive to the HR
droid, b/c they don't have to pay a higher salary for someone with actual
experience!!!  It's a scary cycle, but it's not perpetuated by M$ as much as by
corporate stupidity.  M$ just got lucky enough to have a business model that
benefits from other's stupidity.  (Don't you wish you had the patent on that
one?)

~Tom K.