[ale] OT: Answer: Cisco VPN client and NAT

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 14 14:15:56 EST 2002

Hey everyone,

I recall that a couple of other folks besides me were
trying to get the Cisco IPsec VPN client to work under
Windows from behind various NAT firewalls. I finally
got this to work a couple days ago. The answer (for the
3.5 version of the Cisco client software) was to
"Enable transparent tunnelling" in the
"Connection->Properties" page in the "VPN Dialer"
applet, and, critically, to enable "TCP tunnelling"
via port 10000. Also critically, the Cisco VPN server
had to be configured to accept tunnelled VPN connections
at port 10000. VPN tunnelling via UDP did not work for me,
though it did work for some of my associates. I suspect
this may be because I am, network-wise, quite a few
hops further away from the VPN server than they are.

Cheers,

-- Joe
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"