[ale] OT: Using amanda to backup windows shares

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Feb 14 14:21:26 EST 2002

The security of the share depends on several things.

What version of windoze is doing sharing is a key issue. Win9x is wide
open. WinME is also. WinNT and w2kPro support at least encrypted
passwords to mount the share. The shared data is sent as unencrypted,
however. To have a complete, encrypted exchange between the win box and
the amanda server, you will need some vpn/pptp protocol on the win box
that something like stunnel can understand on the unix end.

If only the mount access is the security problem, all you need is to set
up passwords on the winbox shares and smbmount will do the encryption
magic on the login.