[ale] scp, rcp, tar questions

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Thu Feb 14 16:33:17 EST 2002

OK,

I've gotta copy some stuff (home directory for one of our users) from a
remote server down in Fla to my local server here in Atl.

I have never used the tar beyond untarring tarballs when installing
software, and never used the rcp command.  I am having trouble figuring out
the syntax, and the man pages aren't much help.  I'd spend the time trying
to figure it out myself, but this guys will be here in the morning, and I
was just told about it, so hope someone can hold my hand...

So, what would the syntax be for tar/gzipping up a directory?  I *think it
would be:

tar -z /home/username/* tarfile.name

One problem is, I'm on a private IP, NAT'd through to the internet, logging
into another computer with a private IP using NAT.

So, when doing the remote copy (rcp), how do I specify the host names?  Just
use the IPs of the routers doing the port-forwarding?

Would it be:

rcp -pr user at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/home/tarfile.name user at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/home

Should I use scp?

Examples would be much appreciated...