[ale] Re: [ale-unemployed] A name?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Feb 12 08:12:10 EST 2002

I have not found a specific ruling in the Georgia State Board of
Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors that prevents
the not adjacent use of the words "professional" and "engineer" in an
organizational name. The last thing we need is a legal problem with the
state licensing board.

That said, I withdraw all the name ideas I submitted with the two words
in them. It would be a great thing to achieve P.E. status personally and
an association of P.E.s of Open Source would be fantastic. But that is
not a stated cause of forming the association. Nor is it an achievable
goal in the immediate future.

The principle problem with the naming scheme appears to be the word
"Professional". It is not the word "Engineer" as there are numerous
organizations with the word engineer in the name that are not run by a
P.E. Every engineering school has a student engineer (or five)
organization.

The addition of the "Consultants" term further dilutes the confusion
that _might_ arise over the use of the term "Engineer".

I would like to propose the following name:
Association of Open Source Engineers and Consultants

aosec.net/org are available.

On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 22:48, Tom Wiencko wrote:
> Actually, it is a problem.  You cannot have the word "Engineer" or any
> derivitive of the word (such as "Engineering") in an organization name
> in the state of Georgia (and most other states) unless it is run (owned
> and/or controlled) by a licensed professional engineer.
>
> -Tom
>
> James P. Kinney III wrote:
> >
> > Chris brought up an important aspect. The word "engineer" has a legal
> > meaning in some areas. While hanging the sign out that says
> > "Professional Engineer" requires specific state licensing, I don't think
> > having the terms in an association name will get us in trouble. As long
> > as we don't claim to be P.E.s or claim to offer licensing to become one,
> > there should be no problems.

> Tom Wiencko                                              tew at wiencko.com
> President - Wiencko & Associates, Inc.                    (404) 255-2330
> Telecom Consulting & Project Development -- Wireline, Wireless, Internet

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

 This is a digitally signed message part