[ale] kppp & temp entries ?

keith frost pfrostie at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 14:37:17 EST 2002

i've used both and although it's nice to start a ppp
quick and easy from the command line, kppp gave me a
consistently more reliable connection.  i've not been
able to get it working correctly since the switch to
debian.
wvdial takes 5 to 10 minutes to connect with many
redials.  my wife has been raggin' on my linux because
of this.  when i ran RH i used to use netcfg and it
always did a reasonable job.

if there is anyone that can help me either fix kppp on
a debian system or improve wvdial so that it will
connect the first time like it should, i would be in
their debt.

thanks

--- Lee <ridge at linkamerica.net> wrote:
> Ok..I using Mandrake 8.1 here..and am having a
> helluva time keeping kppp and its temporary entries
> out of my /etc/resolve file. As there are a max of 3
> entries allowed..and I end up with darn near 20
> sometimes..over a period of a long day or so..this
> is causing me great ills!!
>
> I've tried making this a read only file..with no
> success. I've heard that kppp goes outside the
> normal protocols to do its thing so maybe this is
> why?
>
> I'm pondering a switch to wvdial perhaps..haven had
> any luck with minicom..staying connected that
> is..cuts me off after 30 min or so ? Anyway..I like
> kppp..except for this aggravating issue?
>
> So..any ideas anyone. Thank you all very much for
> your time :-)
>
> Lee
>
> ---
> This message has been sent through the ALE general
> discussion list.
> info. Problems should be
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

=====
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS
http://www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux