[ale] Unix Vs Linux

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Feb 11 12:17:26 EST 2002

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> 	On comparable iron with similar horsepower, I have seen Linux
> be outperformed by SunOS (4.x) and have both outperform Solaris, Solaris
> x86, HP/UX, and AIX.  In fact, I've seen Linux outperform several of the
> other flavors of Unix when they are on clearly superior iron.  That is
> based on compiling identical products in parallel on systems
> simultaniously.  But that's compiling and linking...  That was also
> several years ago and Linux has come a long way since.  So has Solaris.
> While Solaris (SunOS 5.x) might actually be competative with SunOS 4.x
> NOW, I don't think AIX or HP/UX has improved dramatically over the years.
> On identical hardware, Linux will stomp the shit out of SCO Unix,
> Solaris x86, and Unixware for every application I have.  But there
> may be applications tuned for those other systems which will be superior
> on them.  I just haven't seen them.  This is all from personal, first
> hand, experience with boxes sitting side by side in a lab together.

Just to add to Mike's comments, I've done system-call benchmarkings of
Solaris and Linux on identical Sun hardware.  Depending on the system call,
Linux is one or more orders of magnitude faster than Solaris.

That's not to say Solaris doesn't perform better than Linux for some
purposes -- it does.  But at the most very basic level, Linux is much
faster....

later,
chris