[ale] RedHat 7.2 Power Off Doesn't :-(

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 11 08:08:48 EST 2002

I've been running RH 6.2 on my notebook for over a year.  I was using
the 2.4.17-XFS kernel, with APM.  "halt", "shutdown -h now", and "init
0" all worked as expected, with the "Power down" message, and the system
would turn itself off.  Fine, dandy, just what I wanted!

Then, I upgraded to RH 7.2.  Everything else works peachy.  It just
won't power off.  I've tired both APM, and ACPI.  I've rather confused,
since before and after the upgrade, the kernel was the same, and it's
the kernel that requests the power be cut.  I'm at a loss, though.

Ideas?  Thoughts?  Incantations?

Thanks!

Danny