[ale] Which (X-window) KDE,GNOME,........

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Feb 10 08:50:35 EST 2002

Oh, no! The KDE vs. Gnome topic!

They both have a huge disadvantage on older machines. SLOW and memory
hungry.

That said, use what you like. The major difference (user-wise) is that
KDE is about a year older and therefore a year more mature. Gnome is
quite stable as long as you avoid the bleeding edge Ximian stuff.

Both offer a pretty good array of functionality. KDE has some stuff that
Gnome does not. Kpresenter, and Konqueror are excellent. Gnome has
galeon for a browser (mozilla/gecko based) and the Evolution
email/calendar/schedular/make-coffee-and-clean-floors app. Evolution is
outlook for linux. It is pretty good.

Most gnome apps will work under KDE and vice-versa if you have all the
libs installed. The major difference is the backend communication
process that handles things like embedded data. They are not compatible
in this method. You can't embedd a gnumeric spreadsheet in a Kpresenter
presentation. You can stick in a screen shot, but not live data.

Again, load both and use what you like. Several corporate big shots have
jumped on the Gnome bandwagon (HP, Sun). Because of the commercial
background of the QT libs in KDE, I don't think any big corps have
embraced it as fully. Although KDE is a great migration path for moing
windows people to linux.