[ale] Re: [ale-unemployed] Mission Statement / Business Model

Greg runman at telocity.com
Sat Feb 9 12:12:05 EST 2002

I have just read a book from a consultant that does just that  - rips out MS
to put in *nix based diskless systems w/ nice flat screen monitors for
everyone  running Star Office on a server.  I also like the easy factor
here - ALL info is now able to be backed up and the users have less chance
to put the "virus of the week" on their pc's.  The chance of disgruntled
employees formatting their box and wiping out 6 months of work (like what
happened to a friend of mine) is non existent.

The problem is that IT managers don't want to see their domains diminished
and subsequently their status.  Many would prefer to be manager A than B.
It boggles the mind, but business rewards the one with the biggest fiefdom
and penalizes the more efficient IT manager.  Unless the senior management
is pushing this and an uncooperative IT manager is taken out of the equation
(they often undo the consultant's work after he leaves or sabotage it), the
concept is doomed to failure.  Of course, with smaller companies this might
work, but I don't know.

[manager A] Is seen to be constantly in motion as his dept is putting out
MS - caused fires, constantly upgrades his system to run the latest and
greatest - spending mucho dinero for bloatware, extra machines to back up
the MS servers, and has a multitude of lackeys to service the MS server farm
he needs to support a business of 50 employees.  Also spends big bucks on
system mgmt software for licensing etc etc... and gets a 95% uptime for his
efforts.  Needless to say, no one is calculating the costs to the business
of the down time and the Total Cost of Ownership of software (i.e., needing
bigger PC's to run it).  Lackeys are often menu - focused and don't know how
the underlying technology works because MS "does it all for them".

[manager B] Is not seen because the IT infrastructure never breaks, uses old
machines to run all the needed services, needs only one guy working a few
hours a week and has a budget roughly equivalent to the amount spent on
office supplies.  Only upgrades to increase robustness, uses common
standards as opposed to proprietary technology and does not worry about the
license police. Can adapt to mixed environments (windows & Macs - no
problem).  UNIX technology has been in place for awhile and so manager B
doesn't have to worry about constant training.  Operators are command line
based and know the 0's and 1's of how IT works.  The mass of computing power
spent on fancy GUI's is now spent supporting the business.  Operators can
code at some level.

Despite this, if anyone wants my help in building a "proof of concept"
system to show how this works I would love to help, as I use this stuff
(manager B) at home.  Nothing would please me more than taking a room full
of MS servers and putting them all on one box. </end dream sequence>

Greg Canter