[ale] The bad thing about RPMs

Michael Golden naugrimk at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 20:24:57 EST 2002

> Which begs the question as to why Red Hat can't just package different
> revisions of the same openssl package, e.g.:
>
> # rpm -q openssl
> openssl-2.9.5-4
> openssl-2.9.6-3
> openssl-2.9.6b-2
> openssl-2.9.6c-1

My understanding of this is that it is part of how RPM handles versions.
Say you had openssl-2.9.5-4 installed and then you tell it to install
openssl-2.9.6-3. It will see that it is the same package but a newer
version. The first part is the name, the second the version. That is why
you will find things like lib_xyz0-0.6 and lib_xyz1-1.0. It is the same
package but since the first part of the name is different, rpm
interprets them to be two different and distinct packages.

--
Michael Golden <naugrimk at yahoo.com>
GnuPG Public Key: 1F8BDBDE

 This is a digitally signed message part