[ale] linux router questions

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Thu Feb 7 11:42:58 EST 2002

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 sangell at nan.net wrote:

> Works great as a two station setup. Will it work to load 4 nics in one box
> and route all the traffic internally? Is there a way to create a virtual
> lan and only use 2 NICs?

Assuming I'm following what you're doing, the simplest thing to do would be
to take one of your machines with 2 NICs, and then use virtual interfaces.
You can have an arbitrary number of virtual interfaces associated with a
single physical interface.

ifconfig eth0:0

can be used to configure them

I think you're using RH, right?  It supports /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-$DEV:# and
/etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-$DEV-range# files which can be used to configure lots
of virtual interfaces.  Check out /etc/sysconfig/ifup-aliases for syntax.

Of course, it will also work to put 4 NICs into a box, assuming available
expansion slots.

later,
chris