[ale] Installing linux on win 2000 partition

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Tue Feb 5 17:05:12 EST 2002

John Wells writes:
 > Hmmm...ok, consider this situation.  I have it working
 > now using the NT bootloader.  It prompts you for which
 > you'd like to boot.  If you choose linux, it then runs
 > grub and you have to choose linux again...

Give grub a short timeout.  As with lilo, I don't think it needs to
wait for a response.  The timeout is set in /boot/grub/menu.lst.  I
would guess that "timeout 0" would work (assuming you give it a
default parameter).

In general, I think you want a timeout of a few seconds in case you
want to try a different kernel, or something.  I doubt if the NT
bootloader can boot alternate kernels.  I use "Timeout 5" for a 5
second delay.

 > I'm wondering if there's some way of reinstalling grub
 > (without rerunning the install) into the MBR...that
 > would be ideal (although I'm a bit worried about
 > losing all my data on the win partition ;-))...

There is an install script for grub in /boot/grub.  If you edit it
to point to your MBR it should work.  I do understand your hesitation,
and leaving it on your other partition should work, too.

--Michael