[ale] TFTP problems with RedHat 7

Chris Egolf cegolf at ugholf.net
Tue Feb 5 09:38:49 EST 2002

John -

I don't know if this will help you at all, but I'm doing something similar w/ a
cisco pix firewall and a TFTP server running Redhat 7.2.

On the firewall (10.1.1.1), I have the following defined:

tftp-server inside 10.1.1.123 /pixfirewall/config/test_config
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^
                              rwx directories     |  filename

On the TFTP server (10.1.1.123), I have the following:

/etc/hosts.allow:
in.tftpd:10.1.1.1

/etc/xinetd.d/tftp
service tftp
{
         socket_type             = dgram
         protocol                = udp
         wait                    = yes
         user                    = root
         server                  = /usr/sbin/in.tftpd
         server_args             = -lc /pixfirewall
         disable                 = no
}

The important part here is the server_args.  The '-c' allows for new files to be
created, otherwise the files have to exist on the server for the client to write
to them.  Look at 'man tftpd' for other options that might be useful.

With the tftp-server defined on the Cisco device, I simply type 'write net' and
it creates/updates the file w/ my configuration.

Hope this helps.

Sheahan, John (PCLN-NW) wrote:

> I just did a fresh install of RedHat 7.0 to see if my tftp problem would go
> away and it did not.
> I am simply trying to set the server up to handle tftp's from my routers. I
> created the folder /tftpboot and touched the files inside the directory. I
> chmod to 777 for all files. I changed the tftp file inside of /etc/xinetd.d
> to say "disable = no". I restarted xinetd....still getting the same error
> when I try to tftp to the red hat server:
>
> TFTP: error code 2 received - Access violation
>
> My /etc/hosts.allow has no entries in it and I have tried putting in the ip
> address of the cisco device..does not help.
>
> I am experiencing this exact same problem on my other Redhat 7 box, that is
> why I tried to install a fresh new version and try it on anther server which
> yielded the same results.
>
> I checked the errata on your site and did not find this to be a known bug. I
> also scoured the internet and google for this error and no one seems to
> know. .
>

> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

                                Chris Egolf