[ale] Ale Inc.? (was RE: [ale] surviving sans work

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Feb 5 07:07:02 EST 2002

Joseph A Knapka wrote:

>>You really don't want a language designed to do both OOP and structured.
>>  If you do, some schmuck will toggle between the two and put us all in
>>the loony bin.
>>

> I disagree. I want a language that lets me use the right
> abstraction for the problem, whatever that may be, and do
> it in a clean, consistent way. In the absence of such a
> language, I have to mix things up. The languages I
> really enjoy working in (C, Python, Prolog) have this in
> common: they do what they do very well, with a minimum of
> fuss and an orthogonal set of features. Also, they're
> simple enough that a single human brain can understand
> them easily; this is a severely underrated trait
> in software systems.

I disagree with your disagreement. :)  To properly create a language to
support both programming approaches, it must be large (c++??) and
therefore provide too much latitude for confusing programming
approaches.  If you want a dump truck, get a dump truck.  If you want a
sports car....

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html