[ale] Ale Inc.? (was RE: [ale] surviving sans work

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Feb 4 21:36:00 EST 2002

Kevin Krumwiede wrote:

>>        I'd disagree.  It is meaningful to point out that if you're
>>doing Java, you do it OOP and you're not given a choice (even Python
>>(*shudder* :) will let you get away with being somewhat procedural for
>>the main body of your program; at least for things on the order of
>>`hello world').  It's meaningful that Java enforces strong typing
>>(with all the benefits and hindrances that brings with it).

> I agree that being forced to use OOP is annoying.

You really don't want a language designed to do both OOP and structured.
  If you do, some schmuck will toggle between the two and put us all in
the loony bin.

> I the main body of my
> programs usually resides in a class where everything is static, or else
> simply local to the main method.

Would that be a reasonable approach to programming?

> The weirdest thing in the world is a
> program that creates an instance of itself in its own main method.  The
> first time I saw that, it just twisted my brain in little knots and I
> resolved never to do it. :-)

Methinks my Javaless brain would call that recursion???

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

"...the system (Microsoft passport) carries significant risks to users that
are not made adequately clear in the technical documentation available."
- David P. Kormann and Aviel D. Rubin, AT&T Labs - Research
- http://www.avirubin.com/passport.html