[ale] OT: H1B

Ray Knight audilvr at speakeasy.org
Mon Dec 16 23:16:16 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 15:58, Mazukna, Thomas wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
> > I don't know if they do or not.  Bottom line for me is, I see too many
> > VERY GOOD technical U.S. Citizens out of work, and therefore think that
> > H1Bs should be stopped for until this problem is resolved.
>
> Stopping H1b will not solve the problem. Period. But it is convenient to
> blame someone else instead.
>
> > Again, if there are citizens who are capable of performing the function,
> > they should get the first shot.
>
> And it is in 99% of the cases. Have you looked at job offerings? 99% say "No
> H1b sponsorship" on the first line.
>
> If you are in good health and can not find a job in US you are doing
> something wrong. Take a look around there are plenty of jobs, but it will
> not be 100k+ consulting gig, but you will not starve to death. H1b on the
> other hand once lost the job, must leave the country immediately, since you
> can not work for any other company.

A risk the H1B visa holder should have been aware of before taking the
job.  If you can't live by the rules of the visa don't accept it.
Besides most H1B visa holders are creating "brain drain" problems in
their home country.  If they stayed home and put there knowledge to work
they would not have the same standard of living they enjoy in the U.S.,
but would be improving the future of their own country.

Ray