[ale] Wireless Design Suggestions

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Tue Dec 31 14:29:24 EST 2002

>> (I can't do the VPN solution that was suggested for you and someone
>> else, since then I'd have 4 servers choking through 1 machine for
>> their throughput, and they need realworld addresses so people can hit
>> them :/)
>
> If you're hosting over DSL with (I'm guessing) the usual 256kbit

Heh.  SDSL 1.5/1.5; It's probably still more of a choke, but since I'd
have to set up full re-routing tables or something, I can't help but think
that the poor box doing the vpn would get overexcited (especially at
having to encrypt all that traffic!!!  poor baby!) (OK, this might not
concern me as much if I had spare boxes that were more powerful than a
486/33 or something ...)

> any wireless setup, it seems to me the VPN is by far the best way to go
> as it offers a high level of security versus WEP or obfuscation. Maybe

I agree, but since the servers are then going out over the internet
anyway, it seems like a little excess to heavily encrypt the traffic
across the house, and then let it go happily about :/

> strong encryption would be a mistake. I live in Augusta, which one would
> not think of as a hotbed of wireless tech or geeks. Driving around with
> just a laptop or ipaq (not even the pringles or coffee can!), I've
> discovered approximately 15 APs downtown alone, very few of them are

I live in Columbia, MD, which I've heard described as "a techie haven" (i
really don't see it myself, but other people say it's chock full of
technogeeks), so I can only imagine :o

> even WEP encrypted and a lot use DHCP. Apparently people open the box,
> pop in the power and go with absolutely no idea or no concern for the

but it's so EASY!  I never had to reconfigure my toaster!!! :)

I really like the ideas about how to run the wire through the walls, and
when I get home tonight, I'm gonna look to see how clean the drop is ...
then the question'll just be about the machines that will continue to live
in the living room ... but if i save on the 300$ for wireless stuff, maybe
I can drop the 200$ on KVM switch/cabling and not have to move the monitor
around everytime i want to check something!!!!! GRRRR!

--attriel