[ale] Wireless Design Suggestions

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Tue Dec 31 12:08:29 EST 2002

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 11:29:43AM -0500 Dow Hurst <dhurst at kennesaw.edu> wrote:
> It is a long way compared to running cable thru your house.  I don't
> know the specs right off, but someone else probably has them memorized. :-)
>
> If you've ever watched an alarm installation, it is amazing how
> seamlessly wire can be installed in finished walls.  I am sure that
> having a single cable professionally done shouldn't cost over $100.
> Anyone on the list know how to do this right?  I've run cables and have
> some nice tools but wouldn't claim a professional touch.  Not like the
> guy that put in our house alarm.  That was amazing to watch.
>
> Since you've finished walls and ceilings, your house is new to you, and
> your wife wants things to look right, I would either do wireless or hire
> someone who can do the install with a professional touch.  Wireless
> bandwidth is far beyond the ADSL speed of your connection so is a real
> option.  Read up on the VPN options under Linux and then try out
> Geoffrey's idea of two wireless cards.  Beat on us for help on the
> stumper problems with the VPN.  Or, hire a professional installer to put
> in one cable run.
> Dow

Crackpot that I am, I have to agree that watching professional cable
installation is inspirational.  There was a friend of the family, who
has since died (dammit!), who did the most amazing drilling I have ever
seen.  The wire ran out of my server room, up through a wall to the top
header of my server room's closet (even through a couple of
fireblocks!), over a dropped basement ceiling, over to the ceiling of a
storage room in the basement, into a storage closet in the garage, out
into the garage and along the ceiling of the garage to a far wall
(neatly nidden behind a header beam), and up right into the baseplate of
a wall dividing two bedrooms above the garage.  Mind you, the angle of
the drill had to be just right so it would exit the garage ceiling at
the southern corner and poke up through the bottom plate of the wall so
that the wire would come out just about 6-8inches above the floor and 8
feet from the corner on the upstairs wall.  He had to know exactly how
the subfloor was put together, the exact dimensions of everything that
was covered up, where any ducting, wiring, or phone lines were, and
drill the hole in one swoop.  He did it the first try!

Well, I guess there is on substitute for knowing what you're doing.

FWIW, I have also seen a single vertical conduit that runs from the
basement near the fuse box to the attic where one of the air
conditioner/heating units is.  Your house might have such a conduit too.
If so, That might be the shortest run.  But I think Dow already
mentioned this idea.

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net