[ale] Wireless Design Suggestions

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Tue Dec 31 11:38:49 EST 2002

> This is exactly why I hit the list, I respect probably 99% of the
> opionins on this list as intelligent and non-crackpot.  I of corse
> belong in the 1% most would argue...

I'm glad you did :)  I've been looking at hooking wireless up in my house
so i can unclutter the living room.  Unfortunately, my problem is kindof
backwards from yours :/  I've got hte DSL and my wife's computers
upstairs, my desktops and the servers in the living room.  I want to move
the servers to the basement where i have a nice closet and they can be out
of the way :)  (the ventilation is poor, at best, upstairs, so putting
them there is not an option).  My wife is geek enough to accept the
layout, but the servers produce a bit of noise, we want the space back,
and we're tired of tripping over the danged wire all the time on the
stairs!!!

I was gonna put an AP in the room with the DSL modem and another in the
basement with the servers, so the two wireless hubs can talk to each
other, but I wasn't sure about security/bandwidth stealing :/

I hadn't really though of actually just dropping the wire ... Your
question brought some good info!  Now I just need to look at the house
layout more and figure out the best way to drop the wire ...

(I can't do the VPN solution that was suggested for you and someone else,
since then I'd have 4 servers choking through 1 machine for their
throughput, and they need realworld addresses so people can hit them :/)

--attriel, now looking at dropping wire