[ale] Wireless

Benjamin Dixon beatle at arches.uga.edu
Tue Dec 31 07:55:06 EST 2002

I was wondering the same. I've been using my wireless setup for quite
awhile now and the speed is perfectly acceptable. Perhaps you guys are
doing a lot of internal LAN transfers or something because my wireless
connection most certainly is faster than my 1.5Mbit DSL connection.

And in regard to setting up wireless in the house, I think I have to agree
with whoever said to just run the ethernet. I use my wireless network as
an extension to my wired network (with its own separate firewall and all
that...) and I think that solves a lot of your security concerns right out
of the box.

Ben

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Jordi S. Bunster wrote:

> On Tuesday 31 December 2002 01:49 am, you wrote:
>
> > I agree with the earlier post. Wireless is a great thing to have but the
> > speeds are way to slow. I don't know about y'all, my webrage can get
> > intense sometimes.
>
> I've been following this thread from a certain distance, and I've a
> question: What kind of connection speed you guys have that is greater than
> the 11Mbps you get from the wireless stuff? Isn't that enough to share most
> SDSL/Cable links? And print files and move files around the house? Or Y'all
> got OC-192s at home?
>
> :P
>
>  -- Jordi

 43rd Law of Computing: Anything that can go wr .signature:
Segmentation violation -- Core dumped