[ale] Wireless Design Suggestions

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Mon Dec 30 13:38:45 EST 2002

  Ok, looks like we're finally getting a house next month.  At any rate,
it's a 2 story and my server room will be upstairs but I'll need to hook
up 3 machines downstairs.  I've got the ports on my 2 switches to run a
cable but my wife has pretty much infomred me I'll be sleeping on the
garage floor if I do it.

  I'm thinking of going to Costco and getting their netger wireless kit
for $150 which has an access point and a card.  I can then put the
single card into a dedicated server in the server room and the access
point in my living room.  That way the 3 machines downstairs can use
their switch to uplink to the AP.  2 of the machines are dual boot so I
don't want to use them as a router.  The 3rd is a laptop which will be
traveling.

  The server upstairs will be running 192.168.1/24 off the wireless card
and be using mac filtering for starters and then going from there as I
learn how to tighten it down more.

  I'm not worried about anyone stealing BW from me as it'll be very easy
to see them due to geography.  As per neighbors, I've got my machines
locked up pretty tight, I think they may be able to print to my printer
is all for now.

Thoughts, theories, suggestions, etc?

  Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: FC96D405

DISCLAIMER:
FYI:

 PGP signature