[ale] OT: pricing structures for contracting

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Sat Dec 28 01:44:09 EST 2002

I just submitted a proposal for a "prototype" and the terms were the
same as Fulton's.  50% up front, and 50% upon completion.  Typically,
they (the client) will milk you for what they can for that first 50%
(project predictions, suppliers [ don't give up your supplier ], goals,
etc).  Give them something that they can sleep soundly with (but don't
give up your trump card) for about 50%.  Upon project completion, grab
the remaining 50% and call it done.  I think the "great equalizer" here
is the fact that they give you the money up front; but you have to count
on them giving you the remaining funds upon completion of the project.
 So, in essence, you have as much to lose as they do if the project is
not done to a satisfactory level.

Initially, they put their trust in you and give you 50% of the "project
cost" in good faith (reputation [see my last email about ethics and how
they help you], skills, etc). Now, granted, you can walk away from the
deal with half the cash, but after completing the project (and doing
[essentially] 100% of the work) you have to hope that they keep their
word and pay you the remaining 50%.  So ultimately, it would be a draw;
but you get to walk away from the project with a good client (assuming
your work product was good) and a reference.

Keep in mind that you have just as much to lose as they do and the
"trust" line is a very narrow, but necessary road to travel.

As such, 50-50 has always been my experience...  depending on the
financials, and what you're going to provide up front, your mileage may
vary...

Hope This Helps,
CB