[ale] Phone line networking

Tom & JaVonn pairoftwins at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 24 10:36:27 EST 2002

Jeff:

Success!  I plugged this Gateway PC with Debian 3.0 installed into the home phone system, set the gateway to their LinkSys router, and was on the internet!  Furthermore, I was able to apt-get install several programs, including smbclient.  Then I could view the shares on a Win98 box, and transfer files to the Debian box.  Pretty slick.

However, look at the output of ifconfig after a bit of use:
richard:/smbmnt# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:06:25:04:55:33
          inet addr:192.168.1.7  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:24 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:18286928 (17.4 MiB)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:5

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:4494 (4.3 KiB)  TX bytes:4494 (4.3 KiB)
Maybe being beta software excuses it from recording TX packets.  I'm wondering if 24 collisions is reasonable, and the error and frame count on the RX packets too?

I'm tempted to buy a used or surplus D-Link DHN-520 which also has beta drivers available.  BTW, what is the model of your Diamond card, and is it still in production???

Thanks,
Tom