[ale] Any grub experts out?

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Sun Dec 22 20:33:21 EST 2002

  I'm playing with grub and converting my machines from lilo.  This is a
precursor to a prodject at work so I figured I'd mess up my home
machines first.  At any rate I found a problem on one of my machines I
know would bite me at work as well.

Linux is the only OS, the kernel is /boot/vmlinuz on /dev/sda1

The machine has 2 SCSI controllers, an onboard Adaptec which has my
CDRom and a PCI IBM MegaRAID.  Both drivers are compiled into the kernel
and will boot just fine with a standard lilo.

Grub though doesn't seem to like the fact that my boot device is on the
MegaRAID which it detects as my second SCSI Controler.

I tried to use a setup like:
-------------menu.lst------------------
# Sample boot menu configuration file
#

# Boot automatically after 30 secs.
timeout 30

# By default, boot the first entry.
default 0

# Fallback to the second entry.
fallback 1

# For booting Linux
title  Linux Newest Kernel
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1
-------------menu.lst------------------

I load grub and execute:

root (hd0,0)
find /boot/grub/stage1
setup (hd0)

and all looks good but when I boot it reports an Error 18 which is
"Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS"  The root disk is
an 18Gig hardware mirrored file system.  Other than repartitioning and
making /boot a small filesystem, any suggestions?

Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: FC96D405

DISCLAIMER:
FYI:

 PGP signature