[ale] Financial Package for Linux? Microsoft Money for Linux? : )

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 21 06:53:33 EST 2002

On Saturday 21 December 2002 12:15 am, Neal Wilkinson wrote:
> In your opinion what is the best financial package for Linux? I was
> running Quicken in Windows and am trying to move everything over but of
> course the big guns (Intuit, Microsoft) don't make a Linux product. My
> needs are very simple and include keeping track of a checking account or
> two and I'd like to be able to download my data from the bank and bring
> it into the package. Thanks for your opinions.

GNUCash is headed for its 1.8 release and I have run the beta. It handles OFX
files now and qif import has worked for some time. It's turning into a very
polished product. Some people will be bothered by the fact that they handle
accounting differently from Quicken and Money. But the GNUCash approach is
actually more business-like. And speaking of business, it also has functions
for small business. My only beef is that the program now has more obscure
dependencies than any other program I have run on Linux. If you don't run
Gnome, it's almost more trouble than it's worth.