[ale] cpu underclocking

Steve Long stl2 at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 19 14:32:27 EST 2002

I have worked in electronics for around 12 years.   I remember a service
call in Atlanta where I replaced a fuse in a big screen TV and turned it on.
It started to whine and increase in volume while the customer watched with
bulging eyes as the whine ended with a deafening explosion.
After the smoke cleared she looked at me and said "It's never done that
before"
As I picked up pieces of the flyback transformer, I told her "You can bet it
won't do it again."

About once a month or so I would get a good shock.  Kinda wakes you up!
Especially if you experience flying without an airplane!

The power supply used in most VCR's and computers is a sweep mode power
supply.  It holds the 5v and 12v steady within a very small parameter
regardless of current.  If you attempt to lower the voltage by adding a
resistor it will increase current to raise voltage.  If it cannot raise
voltage, it shuts down or smokes. It is not advisable to lower the system
voltage at the power supply to the mother board.  There is a small range of
voltage difference between a "0" and a "1." If you get a one below the
threshold and above the zero, it will not be predictable what it will call
it and you will get too many error at the very least.  However, you can
connect the fan to the 5v line instead of the 12v line and there are
adapters to do that or just move the molex plug to the 5v pin.

 If you really wanted to run the system on a lower voltage on the
motherboard, you would have to change the value of a regulator diode in the
power supply.  Also get a motherboard that has low power requirements like a
Micro-ATX or smaller to do it.  Just because an overclocked system requires
a higher voltage doesn't mean an underclocked system would require less.  I
think Delta still has those $8 Micro -TX MB's.  The micro-ATX boards require
a smaller powersupply like a 150Watt.  They are also cheaper.  Add in a
Zalman heatsink (CompUSA has them without the brand name) and you may have
something you can use.  Change the fan to a 120mm or a 168mm and make it
work at 5v.  That would be a pretty silent system with forced airflow.

If you wanted to use a system you currently have you could reduce the
multiplier on the microprocessor but I don't think it would reduce the heat
much. I think if you want silence the best thing to do is use as much
passive heatsink as possible.  You could replace the current heatsinks with
bigger ones and maybe even remove the fans altogether if you use the heat
itself to draw fresh air into the case.  Maybe you could get a heatsink that
has a heat pipe in it and attach it to the chassis or a part of the case as
long as it is electronically isolated.  Don't the cube Apples use all
passive heat control?

What is you aim? To have a completely silent system or a thermally
minimalist computer?