[ale] Now that DirecTV DSL is discontinuing...

Matty matty91 at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 18 12:07:24 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 07:03, Neal Wilkinson wrote:
> Jay,
>
> I've been using BellSouth DSL for over 2 years now and have been happy
> with the service. I have ifitl and so there isn't much copper in the
> equation. It's fiber all the way to the dslam except for maybe 50ft.

I believe all BLS DSLAMs backhaul subscribers through fiber optics to
the applicable aggregation point.

> Check and see if you have that option with BellSouth or if you will be
> copper all the way. It can make a big difference in the performance and
> then you don't have to mess with the so called "modem." If you have the
> choice of getting ifitl then no one can start pawning performance issues

I believe ifitl will eventually go away. It is a VERY expensive
technology to deploy. I bumped into an interesting article on the
future of ifitl on dslreports.com

> off on your inside wiring either. To do so you would either have to be
> in a new neighborhood or BellSouth have upgraded in yours. My house is
> about 14 years old and they ran fiber throughout our neighboorhood. In
> the 2 years I've had the service it has been out maybe 3 hours. Before I
> had a router I ran roaring penguin back when I tried Linux for the 1'st
> time and it was a fine pppoe client. I have a cheap Linksys router now
> and while I don't have a static IP with BellSouth I could leave the
> router up for months on end and keep the same IP for at least that long.

Your lucky you don't have to play the IPCP negotiation game :)

> If you had a better router you may never have to disconnect and would
> only lose your IP if BellSouth went down. I know thats still not static
> but its better than a new IP every day etc.
>
> Neal

Ryan Matteson - UNIX Administrator
GPG ID: 1B52A210 2002-12-01 Ryan Matteson (Primary Key Pair)
<matty91 at bellsouth.net>
Public Key: http://www.daemons.net/~matty/public.asc
Detached Digital Signature: http://www.daemons.net/~matty/public.sig.asc
Fingerprint = A0B1 298E 29C4 3F26 01D5  EDFC 3D62 281F 1B52 A210