[ale] OT: DIRECTV DSL R.I.P.

Matty matty91 at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 18 10:43:34 EST 2002

IPCP can be configured to ease bandwidth utilization, but seldom
are the timers set correctly :( I believe my FreeBSD firewall
renegotiates once per hour per requests from the Access Server :(

On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 10:30, Fulton Green wrote:
> Umm, actually, Telocity/DIRECTV DSL assigned client IPs through DHCP as
> well.  But since the assignments rarely, if ever, changed, you could have
> considered your IP address to be static.
>
> And DHCP is definitely easier on the bandwidth than PPPoE.
>
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 10:20:34AM -0500, cfowler wrote:
> > I like having the Telocity DSL.  I would say that I got tired of the
> > endless turn it off and let it sit for 5 seconds excuse I got from
> > DirecTV each time I had a problem.
> >
> > But if there should be any thing in the ALE FAQ it should be "Say no to
> > DHCP and PPOE".  So many people on here call BellSouth for fast DSL then
> > ask questions on getting it to work wiht Linux.  For us telocity was the
> > only thing to go with.
Ryan Matteson - UNIX Administrator
GPG ID: 1B52A210 2002-12-01 Ryan Matteson (Primary Key Pair)
<matty91 at bellsouth.net>
Public Key: http://www.daemons.net/~matty/public.asc
Detached Digital Signature: http://www.daemons.net/~matty/public.sig.asc
Fingerprint = A0B1 298E 29C4 3F26 01D5  EDFC 3D62 281F 1B52 A210