[ale] Now that DirecTV DSL is discontinuing...

Neal Wilkinson nealw at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 18 07:03:15 EST 2002

Jay,

I've been using BellSouth DSL for over 2 years now and have been happy
with the service. I have ifitl and so there isn't much copper in the
equation. It's fiber all the way to the dslam except for maybe 50ft.
Check and see if you have that option with BellSouth or if you will be
copper all the way. It can make a big difference in the performance and
then you don't have to mess with the so called "modem." If you have the
choice of getting ifitl then no one can start pawning performance issues
off on your inside wiring either. To do so you would either have to be
in a new neighborhood or BellSouth have upgraded in yours. My house is
about 14 years old and they ran fiber throughout our neighboorhood. In
the 2 years I've had the service it has been out maybe 3 hours. Before I
had a router I ran roaring penguin back when I tried Linux for the 1'st
time and it was a fine pppoe client. I have a cheap Linksys router now
and while I don't have a static IP with BellSouth I could leave the
router up for months on end and keep the same IP for at least that long.
If you had a better router you may never have to disconnect and would
only lose your IP if BellSouth went down. I know thats still not static
but its better than a new IP every day etc.

Neal