[ale] Now that DirecTV DSL is discontinuing...

Jay Finch retief at larp.com
Wed Dec 18 01:26:11 EST 2002

I'm faced with a horrid quandry -- Finding another DSL provider.

Based on the feedback from here, as well as information provided at
http://www.dslreports.com (also: http://www.broadbandreports.com ), I've
narrowed down my choices to 4.

Speedfactory.net -- Static IP, 1.5MB down/256k up, $49.95/mo (if DirecTV
lets me keep the equipment)

SnappyDSL.net -- Static IP, 1.5MB down/256k up, $49.95/mo

Speakeasy.net -- Static IP, 1/5MB down/128k up, $59.95/mo

Bellsouth.net -- DHCP (PPPoE?), 1.5MB down/256k up, $45/mo (since I have
total choice)

------

Here's my quandry, and why I'm writing this mail in hopes to get some good
feedback.

1) I don't run servers at home, *EXCEPT* I do a live internet radio stream
occasionally.  I also have control over DNS servers where my domains are
hosted, so it's easy for me to change the IP.  But I'd prefer a Static IP
for convenience sake.

2) I do a lot of uploading to my co-located servers, so I like having the
256k upstream.  I wonder, though, if the difference between 128 and 256 is
enough to really make my life hell.  (And if my radio takes off, then that
could interfere too, though I'd move the shoutcast to my colo server)

3) What is the major diff between PPPoE vs Static?  I keep hearing
hullabaloo about how much PPPoE sucks, but I haven't noticed any reasons
other than the inconvenience factor.  (Plus I use an external Firewall, so
a USB device wouldn't work for me, and I understand BS.N has a lot of those
USB DSL modems)

4) Anything else that could be shared re: these providers?  Are there any
others I should consider?

Thanks in advance. :~)

Cheers!
Jay