[ale] OT: DIRECTV DSL R.I.P.

Ray Knight audilover at atlantabroadband.com
Mon Dec 16 23:58:41 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 11:45, Ricardo Davis wrote:
> Not good.
>
> I've been with Telocity/DTV DSL for 2 years up in Cherokee County.
> They were by far the best option for broadband: static IP, multiple
> e-mail addresses, self-install, no BS about home networking, only
> down 4 hours since I've been online.  The company formerly known to
> us as Mindspring wants an additional $20/month for comparable
> capability (NOT!)
>
> Given the press and commentary, two things doomed DTV DSL:  low
> profit margin and the inability of management to make the business
> thrive in a tighter revenue model.  Pity.  But life must go on...
>
> Are any of the other ISPs in the area providing "transition offers"?
> If an ISP with favorable ratings on dslreports.com called me today
> and said they'd switch me with no change of service or price I
> wouldn't think twice...I'd accept.
>

> -RD

Depending on where you are in Cherokee County you could be in an area
where Speakeasy offers service.  I've had Speakeasy service for 3 years
now in 2 different locations and have been extremely pleased with their
service and support.  They've transitioned users from other bankrupt and
failed DSL providers in the past, so they most likely have a program
available to pick up DirectTV DSL subscribers.  See
http://www.speakeasy.net

Ray