[ale] OT: H1B

Transam transam at verysecurelinux.com
Mon Dec 16 16:51:35 EST 2002

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 09:33:20AM -0500, ahuitzot at mindspring.com wrote:
> I usually do not reply to this kind of krap, but I will make an exception this
> time.  I do think that the person who made the "hotel patel" comment was a bit
> extreme, and I would possibly take that as a racist comment.

> But on the subject, I will state, and this is from my experience and factual
> evidence, I DID NOT LOOSE MY JOB DUE TO H1B VISAS.
> So how many people on this list actually lost their job due to an H1B?  Can
> you prove thats why?

Uh, Mike, you may recall that I lost *my* full time consulting contract to
one of those H1B's at *your* company.  His name was Gaby.  While he was
on Romania the company was paying him $5/hr.  I do not know what he was
paid when the company moved him to the U.S. but it certainly was less than
prevailing wages.  While H1B people are required by law to be paid the
same as U.S. citizens, they rarely are and there is no enforcement.

> Oh, and BTW, people with H1B's are people too, maybe if you got to know one
> and became friends with one (like I did at my previous job) you may actually
> decide to treat them like people and not outcasts.  Stop reacting from fear
> and ignorance (of loosing your job or whatever) and instead act with
> intelligence and kindness.

Yes, H1B's are people too.  They are welcome to my friendship.  They
are NOT welcome to my job.

I should note that once someone becomes an American citizen he or she
enjoys all the rights that I or any other citizen enjoys and he now
is on an equal footing to compete for my job or whatever.

Write your Congressman.  The job you save may be your own.  (If you think
that the H1B program should be kept then write your Congressman too.  The
job you give may be your own.)

> Mike

Bob Toxen
bob at verysecurelinux.com                [Please use for email to me]