[ale] Phillips CD patent

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at sciatl.com
Mon Dec 16 08:59:28 EST 2002

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> I just got the strangest letter from Phillips IP legal group. Basically,
> they own butt loads of patents on CD technology. Including the making of
> the disks themselves. Apparently, there are some cd-r cd-rw and dvd-r
> and dvd-rw disk makers that are not paying out their license fees to
> Phillips for the making of the media. So the letter is a warning that if
> I, or my company specifically, is using any of the "bootleg" blank
> disks, Phillips will then consider that I am an accomplice and will be
> subject to paying the license fee on the disks myself.
>
> WTF!!!

 From the wording of the letter, it's scare tactics, because they appear to be
claiming that anyone who buys content on a 'bootleg' CD is liable - like the
members of the BMG music club who get their CDs.  I cannot believe that such a
claim is valid, on that basis.

If they wrote you and informed you that you *are* using a *specific* brand of
discs that are bootleg, then they might have a leg to stand on;  however, it
also seems that if their claim is valid, they could force the bootleg mfgrs to
stop making the discs.

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
     posting from, but not     |

     - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -
This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your computer.