[ale] Changing Sendmail's IP address

Jonathan Chum jchum at aismedia.com
Thu Dec 12 12:11:36 EST 2002

AOL v8.0's new two click SPAM reporting does not filter, but block an entire
IP address. According to the representative I spoke to, it makes it so easy
for not so savvy Internet users to report SPAM expecting it block or filter
from this specific host from reaching their box, but instead, it blocks it
so it doesn't even enter the AOL's net space. So it could been have
legitimate emails that's been reported as junk mail and so the sender is
blocked from sending to any other AOL user.

So now there's some 400 accounts we are hosting wailing how they cannot send
to an AOL user since Sendmail was setup to utilize 1 IP address.

Is there a way to configure Sendmail to send email through another IP
address without changing the server's IP address? What about each email
that's delivered will be sent out through the IP address in which the
sender's hosting account is hosted on? Is that possible with Sendmail?

This new AOL policy is a good way to kill off competiting ISPs by blocking
email transmissions to their servers. I would they could just have filtered
the IP address for that one particular user who reported it.