[ale] Installation wierdness

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Dec 11 21:42:15 EST 2002

I'm trying to install Win2K (required by application constraints, grr)on
an HP Pavilion celeron 500 w/ 196M Ram. It chokes up at about the same
point during the initial copying of the bootstrap stuff onto the hard
drive. It complains about not finding file foo. Each time it is a
different file. I have use two different installation CD's. Neither is a
copy of the other. One was purchased today just for this. The HP WinME
restoration CDs croak about the same. RedHat 8 went on with out a hitch.
Slackware 8 runs fine from the CD. I'm doing a mke2fs -c -c on the drive
now (30 gigs take a LOOOOONG time)

I've changed out the ram.  No luck. CPU barely warm (heatsink anyway). I
don't think its heat as I compiled the src.rpm for kernel 2.4.18 on it.

Ideas?

 This is a digitally signed message part