[ale] RAID5 chunksize?

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Tue Dec 10 10:29:28 EST 2002

Ok, say I'm building a 4 disk raid5 array.  Performance is going to be
critical as this system is going to be very IO intensive.  We had to go
RAID5 though due to filesystem requirements.

According to the manufacturer the disks have:

  8Meg DataBuffer
  10K RPM Rotational speed
  SCSI Ultra 160

(Drive is:
http://www.fel.fujitsu.com/home/product.asp?L=en&PID=248&INFO=fsp)

What is the ideal Chunksize?

Also it's going to have a lot of pretty decent sized files (100Meg or
so average) so I was going to make it an ext3 with -T largefile and -M 1.

Any other thoughts on how to lay down the disks/filesystem on this
bugger?

Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: FC96D405

DISCLAIMER:
FYI: