[ale] Regarding replies to the list...

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Dec 8 18:05:01 EST 2002

Jason Day wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 11:28:21AM -0500, aaron wrote:

> Well, I've only been subscribed to the list for a few weeks now, I'm
> mostly a lurker, and I've never been to an ALE meeting.  But, for what
> it's worth, here's my opinion: I like the current setup.  I think Aaron
> summed it up nicely, but I'll add my 2 cents below.
>

>>>Historically, responding to a list post goes to the poster...
>>
>>...which at least was the way the ALE list server operated before the
>>recent move...
>>

>>>...and I'd like to retain that approach as it is consistent with other
>>>lists.
>

> In my experience, it's about half and half.  For example, the J-Pilot
> list and most sourceforge lists have the Reply-To set to the list.  The
> plucker and pilot-link lists do not.

Not my previous posting, I find it quite lopsided, but both are just as
you note, personal experiences.

> [snip]
>

>>>The thing that I find most painful at this time is even if I select
>>>'reply to all'  the only email addr that shows up is the list addr.
>>>This is because the reply-to is set to the list as well.
>>
>>Hmmm.  When I hit "Reply All" in KMail it is addressing the reply to both
>>the List and the Sender. "Reply" is addressing it to the List address in
>>"Reply To"  which is the way all my other Lists set the header.
>

> Hitting "group reply" in mutt replies to everyone in the "To:" and "Cc:"
> headers, but not the "From:" header, which is less than ideal.  But I
> almost never want to group reply, so it doesn't bother me.  Your
> mileage, of course, may vary.

As I previously noted, a mailer is not supposed to reference the from:
if there is a reply-to, even if you select reply-all.  That breaks the
purpose of the reply-to and does not follow the rfc.

>>For me the previous ALE list server setup was the painful one and
>>initiated frequent forhead slaps and cries of "DOH" when I would send a
>>message to FROM that I meant to be posting publically. Sending to (or
>>receiving from) both the List and the Author seems redundant to me and I
>>try to avoid doing that.
>

> Exactly.
>

>>>I've never seen a list configured in this way..
>>
>>...and I've only rarely ever seen it any other way.
>>Does this make it 6 of one or a half dozen of the other?? :-)

Seems to me, the more technically oriented the list the higher the
likelyhood it reply's to the poster.  As noted, it's not so much a
convenience issue as a technical issue, which can screw up the mail headers.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...