[ale] NIC problems

Stephen Leonard stephen at phynp6.phy-astr.gsu.edu
Thu Dec 5 08:43:06 EST 2002

Hi Jeff

Jeff Rose <jojerose at mindspring.com> writes:

> I'm having problems with my NIC, Netgear FA311.  Lately when I shut
> down, I see a line that says
>  kernel: eth0: Autonegotiation advertising 0x5e1 partner 0x00.
> Also found it in my /var/log/messages.  What exactly is this and is it
> something I should be worried about?

This means that your nic is supporting flow control and 10/100mbps
half and full duplex.  You link partner is not advertising anything.
I'd double check that everything is plugged in first.  I know next
to nothing about DSL, but it's probably a cause for the problems
you mention below.  I'd worry about this message if it shows up
repeatedly.  This link may help too.
(http://www.scyld.com/diag/mii-status.html)

stephen