[ale] DSL Router for Bellsouth

Klepinger, Aaron Aaron.Klepinger at CompuCredit.com
Wed Dec 4 13:37:43 EST 2002

There are a bunch of these "canned" linux firewalls.  I use clarkconnect.
Works great.  www.clarkconnect.org

Built in Apache and photo gallery, print server, etc.  Otherwise, the
Linksys BEFSX41 seems to be pretty good.

Aaron

-----Original Message-----
From: John Wells [mailto:jb at sourceillustrated.com]
To: ale at ale.org
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 10:49 AM
To: ale at ale.org
Cc: jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Subject: Re: [ale] DSL Router for Bellsouth

Find a 486 and install smoothwall (smoothwall.org).  Cheaper than a
router, and same functionality for the most part.

John

Jeff Layton said:
> Good morning,
>
>    I'm currently connected to Bellsouth DSL on a Windows box
> that is set up for ICS so I can connect my Linux box. It's a real
> pain to configure ICS so I'd like to switch to a DSL router
> (wireless is unncessary). What recommendations do people
> have? I'd like one with a firewall to add some more protection
> (all the boxes run firewalls of some type). Any opinions on that?
>
> TIA!
>
> Jeff
>

> --
>
> Jeff Layton
> Senior Engineer
> Lockheed-Martin Aeronautical Company - Marietta
> Aerodynamics & CFD
>
> "Is it possible to overclock a cattle prod?" - Irv Mullins
>
> This email may contain confidential information. If you have received
> this email in error, please delete it immediately, and inform me of the
> mistake by return email. Any form of reproduction, or further
> dissemination of this email is strictly prohibited. Also, please note
> that opinions expressed in this email are those of the author, and are
> not necessarily those of the Lockheed-Martin Corporation.

information that is intended only for use by the named recipient.
If you are not the named recipient, any disclosure, dissemination,
or action based on the contents of this message is prohibited.
In such case please notify us and destroy and delete all copies
of this transmission.  Thank you.