[ale] Red Hat on old Laptop

Robert Heaven robertheaven at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 1 13:33:10 EST 2002

I was trying to load Red Hat 8.0 on an old Compaq Presario 1220 laptop
and everything works fine except the networking. During the install
process it doesn't ask for network info and after the install I try to
configure the 3COM 3C589D-TP PCMCIA card but it still won't work. Is
there something special about RH8.0 and old laptops I'm not doing right?
It is loading the pccard driver and 3C589 is a valid card type in the
network set up gui but it just won't talk to it. I know the card works
because I can load FreeBSD 4.7 and the card works perfectly. (just can't
get the touch pad mouse to work under bsd)