[ale] Formatting

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Aug 29 13:55:39 EDT 2002

tom hawks wrote:
> I am going to rid myself of my windows partition. Just format c: an
> reinstall linux?

If you already have linux on this computer, you don't have to reinstall,
unless you've looking at moving some stuff around.  You can boot to
Linux, format your windows partition as a linux partition (ext2, ext3,
reiserfs, whatever..) add a mount point to /etc/fstab and you've
regained the space for your linux box.  Still, if you need it for say
your /usr/ partition, depending on the size of your windows partition
you might be able to swap stuff around without reinstalling.  For example:

/usr => 1gig
windows = 2gig

format windows to linux filesystem and mount it as /newusr
cp /usr /newusr

changed /etc/fstab to reflect the new filesystem to be /usr

Now there a few small steps I've left out of there, and if you don't do
them all right you could screw your system up.  Still, it's not that
difficult and as long as you don't blow away the old /usr until the new
/usr is verified to work, you can always go back and fix it with tom's r/b.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net