[ale] gentoo success!

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Aug 28 14:44:29 EDT 2002

SanMillan, Todd wrote:
> X on a 386, that's where I learned to configure X.  8mb RAM.  It would fire
> up and I could run one app, but it was the same as you described installing,
> I would let it do it's thing, then turn to it when I had the time.  Once I
> graduated to the 486/80 w/32mb RAM it was actually usable for reading news
> and running Mosaic.  :)

I wasn't that bad off, p75 with 8 meg of ram.  I can remember hand
editing the mode lines for my monitor and hoping the blue smoke didn't
escape.

I can remember the first time I saw a Linux login prompt on that
machine.  It was amazing.  I'd been doing Unix for a good 7-8 prior,
but, a UNIX machine, right there on my desk.  Wow. :)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net