[ale] Favorite distros

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Mon Aug 26 16:33:26 EDT 2002

Good question.  Technically, the way I understand it, the way this situation
would work is, if Mozilla was installed as a dependancy of Galeon, ie, you
emerged Galeon, and Portage installed Mozilla as a dependancy, then the
default would be to uninstall it, but I envision a flag that would prevent
this for major applications like this.  The main benefit would be having
obscure libs and programs that are dependancies for other obscure programs
automatically removed when the Dependant package is removed.

> Now, if when doing an install you could specify that
> "This package is solely here to support other packages,
> not to provide user functionality", I could see how an
> auto-uninstall of only those packages could be useful.
>
> Now, if you meant the reverse...uninstalling Moz would
> automatically uninstall Galeon...I guess that would be
> okay. But it's not that hard to do that now, anyway...

It makes much more sense to simply allow flags like:

emerge unmerge -deps -keep-mozilla galeon

or something like that.

WARNING: these flags are products of my imagination.

Charles