[ale] [OT] AJC Article on State Welfare System

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Mon Aug 26 12:09:49 EDT 2002

On Monday 26 August 2002 11:38 am, Jeff wrote:

> OK, well, along those lines, do we need to start with the user
> interface?

A brick upside the head *might* work.

> Some have already suggested (by way of implication) a Web
> app, which is all well and good, but I'm concerned about shutting out a
> lower-rung but perhaps pre-existing access method - the good ol'  modem
> dialup.  When I think of a social worker operating out of his/her car, I
> think that a laptop with a modem is the best you'll find, with possibly
> a cellular hookup at best.  No Wifi, etc.  This makes me think "green
> screen."

Come on - you're talking about people who can't find a kid when they have
her address written on a card in their hand.  (This was a case in Florida,
I am not willing to bet that GA DFACS is much better).

Having worked for various gov't. agencies, I can guarantee you that the few
people who actually want to do their jobs are hindered by unbelievable
bureaucracy and managerial in-fighting.  For those who don't care, how will a
laptop with a cellular link help if the social worker just lies about
visiting homes?

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but we need to recognize where the real problem
lies.

Irv