[ale] [OT] AJC Article on State Welfare System

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Mon Aug 26 11:38:55 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 11:15, Stuffed Crust wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 10:25:06AM -0400, Irv Mullins wrote:
> > Geeks tend to think of technological solutions to problems. Technology is
> > the least of the problems here.  The only technological solution I can think
> > of which has any chance of succeeding is the electric cattle prod.
>
> This is the first response that comes close to touching upon the true
> reasons why $30 million has gone down the tubes:
>
> "If your users don't know what they need, you can't build a system to
>  meet their needs"
>
> We all know the technology that this project needs is pretty simple and
> straightforward.  But until you know what direction is north, it's
> pretty foolish to start laying pavement.
>
>  - Pizza

OK, well, along those lines, do we need to start with the user
interface?  Some have already suggested (by way of implication) a Web
app, which is all well and good, but I'm concerned about shutting out a
lower-rung but perhaps pre-existing access method - the good ol'  modem
dialup.  When I think of a social worker operating out of his/her car, I
think that a laptop with a modem is the best you'll find, with possibly
a cellular hookup at best.  No Wifi, etc.  This makes me think "green
screen."

Also, of desktop machines, what percentage will even be
Internet-connected?  For those machines that are not, some kind of modem
scheme (ppp or direct dialin) or perhaps even a regular CD data
distribution might be called for.

- Jeff