[ale] Favorite distros

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 26 11:18:34 EDT 2002

> Matthew Brown wrote:
>
> I'll start...

I prefer the following distros in order. My experience level is ex
sys admin, full-time developer. All the Linux boxes I maintain are
for my own use and my family's - one box for fileserver/Samba/DNS/
sendmail, one to install new distros on for fun (this box is also
my backup OpenBSD firewall/router in case the Linksys boxy ever
kicks off - got the old OBSD install on a 2G IDE drive installed
in the case, but not plugged in), and a Compaq laptop that I use
for development.

(1) Slackware - I've been using it for eight years (maybe
more), and I have a subscription, so it's easy to upgrade :)
Administratively it's a mess - I install stuff piecemeal
and often pull out some hair dealing with dependencies -
but it works, and I haven't had to do any major surgery
on the main fileserver/etc. box in a year or so now.

(2) TomsRootBoot - a damned useful piece of plastic!
This is the thing to use to vet your Windows boxes
for hardware problems - if it works under Toms and
not under Winblows, blame Bill.

(3) Almost everything else. I've tried Red Hat, Gentoo,
and LFS, and liked all of them more or less. I'm currently
fooling with Gentoo on my playground box. Figured out
how to get Zope installed, even though it's masked in
the current Portage tree, in case anyone's interested.

(4) Debian. We hates it, me precious. My one and only
Debian install was confusing and disastrous. But that
was before the whole apt revolution, so maybe I should
give it another try.

Cheers,

-- Joe
  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me