[ale] Gentoo: the good, the bad, the ugly

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Aug 26 11:02:30 EDT 2002

Matthew Brown wrote:
> This begs a question for me...  Can you guys rate the distros for your
> own personal uses?

This is a difficult thing to do, as I use different dists. depending on
the need.  I'll throw out some quick notes:

Mandrake - my desktop.  Neck and neck with Red Hat, but Red Hat does not
come with my prefered wm, Enlightenment.

Red Hat for newbies - installed it for my mother-in-laws net access.
Just a good clean installation.

SuSE 6.4 - absolutely the cleanest install I've ever had. I'd probably
use SuSE more if I didn't have to wait to get it.  That is, since you
must buy it, you either must order it online, or go to a store and
purchase it.  I can download RH or Mandrake and be installing before I
get my hands on SuSE.

Slackware - for low end hardware, including processor, memory, and drive
space.

Gentoo - experimental at this time, can't make any recommendations, that
is, unless you want to give your hardware a real good work out.. :)

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net