[ale] [OT] list of cultural food oddities

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Aug 26 09:07:03 EDT 2002

I am a foodie. I like trying new food from around the world. On a hunt
for a better falafel recipe, I found the link below.

http://www.andreas.com/food.html

"I HAVE A THEORY that many (all?) cultures invent a food that is weird
or disgusting to non-initiates as a sort of a "marker." The kids start
out hating it, but at some point they cross over and perpetuate it
(perpetrate it) on the next generation. Then they nudge each other when
foreigners gasp."

Some of the detailed descriptions are hysterical! "It's like eating
pudding in an outhouse" (durian, a large smelly fruit of South East
Asia)

The descriptions of some American staples such as American pasturized
process cheese food product, white bread, beer, and fried dill pickles
are especially amusing to a foodie such as my self.

<jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

 This is a digitally signed message part