[ale] Gentoo

Charles Marcus CharlesM at Media-Brokers.com
Mon Aug 26 07:01:44 EDT 2002

Exactly - accoring to the blurb I snipped, it was possibly a 22MB RAM disk
that the CD mounts during/after boot-time - so, it wouldn't surprise me if
your install bombs, if you indeed did boot off the CD.

> I've fired this thing up and it's cooking now.
>  We'll see how it goes.
>
> What I did was boot from Tom's r/b.  But for some
> reason, I couldn't mount the bloody cdrom.  Will
> boot from it, but not mount it, brother.

As I'm sure you already know, most of these problems are due to the
hardware.  I have installe don numerous machines with 128MB+ RAM and 4GB+ HD
space, and never had a problem like you've been having (issues, yes, but
nothing that either wasn't something I did wrong, or a very temporary
problem with the Portage tree).

> It's now 'cooking' so I'll update the list as things
> move along.  Probably won't be till tomorrow. :)

Look forward to hearing how it went...

charles